AFP IDEA Initiatives
AFP Global is committed to the principles of inclusion, diversity, equity and access (IDEA) in the fundraising profession, the philanthropic sector and throughout society. AFP Central Ontario is committed to upholding these principles and strives to provide learning and education opportunities for our members around these definitions.
AFP recognizes that Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Access (IDEA) are central to its mission.
The following is AFP’s Statement of IDEA Principles:
- Recognizing others as different but equal.
- Respect and empathy for all.
- Trust and integrity that facilitate the integration of different and multiple voices in organizational discourse.
- Demonstrated appreciation for different voices, active listening; open to disparate viewpoints and opinions, and facilitating dialogues among the diverse groups.
- Practicing and encouraging transparent communication in all interactions.
- Developing participative decision making; problem-solving; and team capabilities.
- Exploring potential underlying, unquestioned assumptions that interfere with inclusiveness.
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Access (IDEA)
The ability of AFP to attract, retain, accommodate, and involve a range of diverse people who are valued, accepted, and comfortable at the international, national, regional or local chapter level.
AFP defines diversity as a core value. It is an inclusive concept encompassing, without limitation, race, color, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion, nationality, age, economic class, educational level, language, physical, mobility and ability, geography, and marital and parental status. The state of being diverse means having the broadest possible representation of individuals, experiences, and perspectives in all-encompassing terms.
Creating a level playing field for individuals or groups according to their respective needs, which may include equal treatment or treatment that is different but is considered equivalent in terms of rights, benefits, obligations, and opportunities.
The commitment to foster attitudes, behaviours, and procedures to facilitate access that promotes equity and diversity, fosters inclusion and allows people to maximize their contribution to our association and communities that our members serve.